Anais Nin Quote

"Living never wore one out so much as the effort not to live." Anais Nin

"A life undocumented is a life unlived."

Sunday, October 13, 2013

Estoy Aprendiendo a Hablar Español

The subject line above should translate to "I am learning to speak Spanish". At this point, I have to trust that http://www.spanishdict.com/ is telling me the truth and I'm not saying something awful like, I'm a total dunce at speaking Spanish. Which would be true, but a little humiliating to share with folks.

My language of choice in college was German. I spent four semesters learning greetings, phrases, vocabulary, and delving into German literature. My reading comprehension of German is better than my German-speaking skills, but it's a work in progress. It's hard to learn a language fluently when you're not immersed in it daily. Spanish, however, might be a different ballgame. In my days of shadowing my school psychologist, I'm noticing that speaking Spanish would be a benefit to a school psychologist in Memphis so I decided to start trying to learn to speak Spanish. I signed up on Fluencia to start taking lessons, I followed Huffington Post, the Spanish version, on Facebook and Twitter, and I'm hoping between the two I'll start getting a feel for Spanish. In-between going back to college in my late 30s, going to grad school now, learning German and now learning Spanish, my poor brain is just being used and abused.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Free Stuff for Shelby County Schools Teachers

As a newly graduated teacher, our main question was, Where's the free stuff?? Because honestly, what grad student can afford to buy the ...